March 1, 2020 | Moscow, ID
Join Humanists of the Palouse for a presentation and discussion with Dr. James Conca about the United States energy infrastructure and what it will take to get to a truly green energy infrastructure.
Presently, America is 87% fossil fuel, split mostly between transportation and power. It took us 70 years to get to this point, so completely changing it in 20 years is a big, big lift requiring pretty radical changes, including:
- stop building any new fossil fuel plants
- stop closing existing safe nuclear power or hydropower plants
- build and strategically place solar and wind
- build new small modular nuclear reactors as fast as possible
- follow the new plan by DOE to double hydropower – without building a single new dam
Geochemist and energy scientist, speaker and author Dr. James Conca is Senior Scientist for UFA Ventures, Inc. in the Tri-Cities, Washington, a Trustee of the Herbert M. Parker Foundation, an Adjunct Professor at Washington State University in the School of the Environment, an Affiliate Scientist at Los Alamos National Laboratory and a Science Contributor to Forbes on energy and nuclear issues. Conca obtained a Ph.D. in Geochemistry from the California Institute of Technology in 1985, an MS in Planetary Science in 1981, and a Bachelors in Geology and Biochemistry from Brown University in 1979.
Humanists of the Palouse, a local chapter of the American Humanist Association, meets every 1st and 3rd Sunday of the month.